Clients planning to get away for March Break? CAA South Central Ontario is reminding travellers to make sure insurance is part of their plans.
One in five people visit a doctor’s office or emergency room while on vacation, and a trip to a hospital in the U.S. for a broken limb can cost up to $25,000 (USD), according to the Travel Health Insurance Association of Canada.
Three reasons to make sure you’re covered while away:
- A sudden illness prior to your trip forces you to cancel your vacation plans.
- You arrive at your destination, but your luggage is nowhere to be found.
- Trying exotic foods abroad can land you in the doctor’s office with stomach troubles.
Before leaving on vacation, remember to also protect your home.
- Unplug appliances like coffee makers and toasters to ensure they don’t cause a fire while you are away.
- Don’t leave keys on a hook by the door because this is the first place thieves look and your car could be stolen.
- Ensure all windows and doors are closed and securely locked.
- Make sure your home looks lived in, have your driveway plowed and ask a neighbour to park in your driveway.
- Use motion detector lights outdoors and light switch timers indoors.
- If possible, invest in a home alarm system.
Most importantly, advise clients not to broadcast their travel plans on social media.