Mixed opinions about whether we’re at the end of a cyclical bull market can work to your advantage, especially if your clients have interest in alternative investment options.
They’re a good choice when traditional asset allocation models aren’t getting the job done. Senior editor Dean DiSpalatro has been talking to a lot of managers working in all aspects of the alternative space.
He’s found that while market cycles may be easing, advantages stemming from debt markets could play to clients’ favour.
In some cases, advisors need to apply some caution, because not every investor who’s accredited to buy into the alternative space has the stomach for the attendant volatility. So make sure you walk even qualified clients through the basics.
But alts can even work for conservative clients if you apply hedging strategies to bond funds.
Here’s a list of his stories on the topic, in order:
- TSX run isn’t done, say experts
- Alternatives a solution to high correlations
- Pick funds that ride the US dollar, says hedge fund manager
- Senior secured debt offers consistent yield
- Are your clients as wealthy as they claim?
- Primer on private equity
- Conservative clients could hedge bonds
Read more from Dean DiSpalatro and Follow @DeanDiSpalatro