Hedge funds finished the second quarter on a stronger note with the Eurekahedge Hedge Fund Index up 1.45% in June. On a year-to-date basis, hedge funds are up 3.18% while the MSCI World Index has returned 4.27% in the first half of 2014.
- Hedge funds were up 3.18% June year-to-date; 2.26% in the second quarter compared with 0.90% in Q1 2014.
- Hedge funds posted performance-based gains of US$40 billion and attracted US$67 billion in net asset flows in the first half of 2014.
- North American hedge funds are up 5.19% year-to-date — the highest among all regional mandates.
- Long/short equities and event driven strategies delivered the best returns in June, up 1.96% and 1.80% respectively.
- Latin American hedge funds posted their fifth consecutive month of positive returns, up 1.34% and 2.74% year-to-date.
- Distressed debt strategies were up 1.19% in June, posting their twelfth consecutive month of gains, and are now up 5.11% in 1H 2014.
- Japanese hedge funds surfaced in positive territory year-to-date after posting strong returns in June, up 2.09% during the month, and have outperformed the benchmark Nikkei 225 index by 7.26% year-to-date.
- CTA/managed futures hedge funds were up for the third consecutive month, reporting gains of 1.67% in June and 2.63% year-to-date.
- Macro hedge fund strategies continue to post lacklustre returns, up 0.24% in the first half of the year.