Hedge funds are up 3.45% year-to-date, with roughly 18% of funds boasting double digit returns for the year, half the number for the same period last year, according to the latest Eurekahedge Report.
Here are some additional findings.
- Total net asset flows for 2014 were trimmed to US$55 billion for the year as hedge funds saw their fourth consecutive month of net outflows in October, with investors redeeming US$20.3 billion over the last four months.
- CTA/managed futures funds reported performance-based gains of US$12.3 billion for the year; their highest October year-to-date gains since 2010. North American CTAs lead with year-to-date returns at 8.04%.
- Asia ex-Japan focused funds grew their asset base by US$11.2 billion in 2014, and are up 7.44% October year-to-date, outperforming the MSCI Asia ex Japan by almost 300 basis points.
- India investing hedge funds reported their ninth consecutive month of positive returns with managers deploying long/short equities up 47.30% year-to-date – outperforming the BSE Sensex by almost 16%.
- European managers continued to face headwinds, down 0.56% for the month and 0.60% year-to-date; though the region’s specialist distressed debt investing funds are up 12.77% for the year.