Ever wondered which World Cups were the most expensive to host?
The two most costly ones haven’t happened yet, so there’s still time for organizers to ask an advisor for budget help.
Bloomberg put together a video showing the costs behind the five most expensive World Cups.
Here are the top three:
#3: Brazil, 2014
- 12 stadiums at $3.6 billion, four times original estimate
- Total: $11.2 billion
#2: Russia, 2018
- Building seven new stadiums, upgrading five
- Expanding air travel, rail, hotels
- Total expected: $20 billion
#1: Qatar, 2022
- Building infrastructure from scratch
- $17 billion airport, $14 billion for eight stadiums (cut from 12)
- Expected cost: $200 billion