- Discuss emergency funds and contingency plans. Emergency funds should cover between three and six months of living expenses.
- Ask them to tie up other debts before adding a mortgage to their load. Provide a timeline based on their current situation and ask if it’s realistic. They may only have to delay a year or two.
- Ask how stretched they feel from a budget standpoint. Can they pay their credit-card and utility bills in full, or are they only paying minimum balances?
- If they’re looking at an income property, ask how long can they go without collecting rent.
- Ask what their long-term goals are for the property.
Originally published on Advisor.ca