On The Shelf:

By Staff | April 21, 2008 | Last updated on April 21, 2008
2 min read
Previous Brieflies this week: | MON | TUE | WED | THU |

(April 21, 2008) AGF Funds is adding a dedicated emerging markets equities component to the Harmony Overseas Equity Pool, effective May 2, 2008.

The target allocation of the pool to emerging markets is set at 10%, with this component of the pool managed by Principal Global Investors. The remaining 90% of assets will continue to be managed by Harris Associates and McKinley Capital.

“Investors in Harmony Overseas Equity Pool will gain broader exposure and better diversification through investments in emerging markets, which span more than 25 countries around the world,” said AGF Funds Inc. pPresident Randy Ambrosie. “They will also benefit from a dedicated emerging markets manager whose specific expertise is analyzing, researching and investing in these markets.”

• • •

Unity Life offers UL policy

(April 21, 2008) Unity Life of Canada has announced that it will offer a universal life product, named for its corporate parent: Foresters Passport Universal Life. Unity lLife will target the middle market with this product.

“We are certain potential clients who are looking for both life insurance and an investment account will find our product’s flexibility and many guaranteed features quite appealing,” said Rob Baboth, Unity Life’s vice-president, sales and marketing.

Foresters Passport is available as a conversion product from Unity Life’s term portfolio of products. ClLients covered under this product may be eligible for additional complimentary life, health and education benefits from Foresters.


• • •

Northwest & Ethical Investments close fund

(April 21, 2008) Northwest & Ethical Investments announced Monday that they were terminating their EFI Balanced Growth Fund.

According to the company the termination is in accordance with National Instrument 81-102.

Effective immediately, the fund is closed to all new sales, while current investors will be provided with 60 days notice about the Northwest’s plans for the fund.

After those 60 days, units will be redeemed, paid out, or transferred.


Advisor.ca staff


The staff of Advisor.ca have been covering news for financial advisors since 1998.