The Heartbleed security issue has affected online banking and threatened the CRA in the middle of tax season, raising the specter of identity theft in the minds of your clients.
Here are some everyday tips you can pass along to help them feel more secure.
- Don’t carry your social insurance card or documents that show your SIN.
- Don’t give a business your SIN just because someone asks. Give it only when required.
- Check your credit report every 12 months.
- Keep personal information in your home under lock and key.
- Protect your personal computers by using firewalls and anti-virus software, updating security patches and changing passwords for Internet accounts.
- Don’t give out personal information over the phone, through the mail or online unless you have initiated the contact or you are sure you know who you are dealing with.
In case of fraud:
- Contact the fraud departments of the three major credit bureaus: Equifax, Experian and TransUnion.
- Close any accounts that have been tampered with or opened fraudulently.