Canadians need to be better prepared for severe weather and emergencies, says the Insurance Bureau of Canada.
“The insurance industry understands the costly and devastating impact of severe weather on Canadians,” says Ralph Palumbo, vice president Ontario for IBC.
He adds, “IBC is committed to helping families get the information they need to protect themselves and their properties.”
He offers these top 6 tips:
- Know the weather risks in your region, as well as their common effects.
- Have emergency plans for all family members.
- Build an emergency kit with the basic supplies needed for three days or more.
- Know how to deal with potential flooding.
- Keep a home inventory of your possessions that includes lists of important documents and mementos, for instance.
- Talk to your insurance company about your coverage.